Tuesday, July 12, 2016

My Top 5 favorite album covers

#5: The Cramps Bad Music for Bad People



     This is a simply awesome album cover to look at. The sinister yet cartoonish looking image of a man with a half pompadour, half mohawk symbolizing  the merging of punk and rockabilly to create psychobilly. Even if you dislike this album cover, just look at all of the minuscule detail put into it in the man's hair and facial features. The album cover perfectly sums up the album which lies inside: nasty, campy, and just amazing. In fact, I have a   t-shirt with the album cover that I have worn so many times to the point of it being faded from a dark black to a musty dark grey. I even got into the cramps because I found this album cover so eye catching, so I checked out the band, and sure enough, they were fantastic.



#4: Minor Threat Out of Step

    This is simply a work of pure art. Symbolizing a person who is "out of step with the world" with a black sheep is simply genius. The symbolism is fantastic, and I have the black sheep as my google profile picture (and do not plan on changing it anytime soon). This album may not be as great as Minor Threat's earlier work, but its album cover is simply amazing. Though it looks very simple, this album cover conveys a very strong meaning. Though the title track that the album artwork is based off of may be about straight edge,  the artwork symbolizes a straight edge person... ...and much more. This is an album cover I cannot forget.


#3: Lamb of God As the Palaces Burn


   
The first time I saw this album cover, I had no idea what it was, but I knew it looked awesome. After about half an hour of research, I discovered it was the shroud of turan covered in blood splatters and all sorts of machinery surrounding it. From what I've read, I can't find what the meaning behind this is from the internet, but In my own opinion I think it represents the downfall of humanity because of technology (you can do the thinking yourself, as this takes a while to explain. This meaning makes the album cover look even cooler, as it makes it seem sort of apocalyptic in a way. I really enjoy this album cover.



#2: Iron Maiden Number of the Beast

   
    I remember seeing this album cover at a young age and thinking that it simply looked awesome. Its nothing serious and super arty like the previous album covers on this list, it just looks really cool with Eddie possessing the devil. Like entry #5, I have a badass t shirt of the album cover of this, and I've scared many stupid uptight old people with it. This album is one of the best metal albums, and also one of the best metal album covers. It doesn't need to be super gory or scary to be cool, it just needs to look cool, and this album artwork is beyond cool. There really isn't much left to say about this album cover other than... um.. 666! THE NUMBER OF THE BEAST!!!

#1: Black Flag My War

      Not only is this one of my favorite albums of all time, but the album cover is just as good, if not better. There is a very interesting and easy to pick up meaning behind this album cover if you've listened to the title track. The smiling pig looking man is obviously "one of them", and the hand with the knife is probably Henry Rollins. This album's artwork is just as intense as the album, as it is dark and personal, just like any other Raymond Pettibon piece of art. When I listen to this album, I like to just stare at the album cover, and for some reason it seems to enhance the albums meaning. I love this album cover.